Friday, May 20, 2016

Forming An Opportunity Belief-- Gen Ed Classes Edition

COLLEGE IS NOT PREPARING US PROPERLY FOR THE REAL WORLD.

When thinking about opportunities that exist, I immediately recalled my frustration with the number of required general education classes that students must take to graduate. I believe that there is an opportunity to improve the way that classes are set up and offered to students. This thought also lead me to consider the general teaching styles of professors and the material that students are taught to help prepare them for their future careers.

I don't believe that students are being given the type of education that sufficiently prepares them for their future careers. This is either because they are being required to take a majority of classes that don't pertain to their major, they are not given enough real world information and they are not getting information that is as specified as necessary for positive results in the future. This need lies in the hands of the students, and their preparation for their future careers. I think that this problem has always existed and continues to get worse as colleges require more unnecessary classes to either make money or set standards that don't pertain to the students.

https://soundcloud.com/user-329268085/ali-kassam

https://soundcloud.com/user-329268085/haley-kluegel

https://soundcloud.com/user-329268085/mahdi-kassam

After speaking with multiple students on campus, I am sure that this opportunity exists and is not being solved very well or the time being. From what I can tell, the only way that students are guaranteeing their preparation for their future careers is with outside sources that UF is not currently supplying. This can be tutoring services, internships, shadowing positions, etc. Most surprisingly, I realized that students from all majors see these beliefs as a concern for their future well being.

In summary, I think that the education system, specifically UF in this situation, needs to supply students with classes that are more tailored to not only their majors, but to their future careers. Professors also need to make sure they are focused on teaching and not researching.

4 comments:

  1. This was such a great topic and I could not agree more with you! I remember sitting in Good Life freshman year and thinking "how is this going to help me with a career in financial services???" I think that there should be classes offered under each major in which we learn about different careers we can pursue with said major. The only thing that some of the Gen Ed classes taught me (cough cough Mans Food) was that sometimes we have to do stupid, tedious things to get results (grades) that we need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,

    This is such a great topic to bring up! How many times don't all of us as students think, "when will we even use this topic" or "how should I be saving money?" We wonder about so many topics that we should know for our lifetime, yet our school system is not teaching them to us. I believe that every prep school and university should include as part of their curriculum some courses that will help us adolescents out with future decisions and organizational skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,
    This is the first post that I can actually say I fully agree with. I completely understand the logic behind being forced to take general education classes, but at the same time I think that the time and effort you put into those classes could be better used elsewhere. Even if they changed some of the general education requirements to something that you would actually use later in life, for example credit card usage and management, debt management or home buying. I completely agree that this revolves around ways to generate more revenue for the schools and I believe the schools have taken advantage of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This a fantastic idea that I definitely believe has mass appeal and opportunity. First off you are addressing the ideal customers right now so great job haha. This is a great idea and I will love to see where this goes. Great post.

    ReplyDelete