Thursday, May 12, 2016

My Entrepreneurship Story

In middle school, I was always trying to add to my newly created Navy Federal bank account. At the time, I was only getting money here or there from babysitting or for my birthday/Christmas. However, I need to amp it up a bit so that I could purchase my very own DS Game Boy System. That's when my sister and I decided to sell lacrosse balls. Although commonly used for the sport, many kids in school started bringing them to class and bouncing them off the tile floors and cement walls for fun. They were especially a hot commodity at recess, where kids made up creative games. At the very start of this new trend, it was just a couple of lacrosse players that participated in the shenanigans. My sister and I took this new opportunity to buy a huge back of balls and sell them for a couple bucks to students that didn't already have a ball to play with. This made the trend take off even more! So much in fact that after a while, teachers had to ban lacrosse balls from the classroom because they started to become a distraction. That's my entrepreneurship story.

I joined this class because I think that having the skills and knowledge to become a successful entrepreneur is very help for my future, whether I become an entrepreneur or not. I think that hearing about other people's experiences and dreams of becoming an entrepreneur is also very interesting to hear about. Finally, I heard this class was fun and hands on and I have been wanting to start a blog so I thought it would be a great fit for me this summer.




4 comments:

  1. I too had an instance of entrepreneurship during middle school. I remember (and I was one one of them) all the kids that brought lacrosse balls to play with in our spare time. I thought your story was interesting because it showed me the processes and reasoning that made you decide to become an 'entrepreneur.' It's always interesting seeing the seller's thoughts and rationale in any venture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your story Megan. I also think that the skills needed to be a good entrepreneur will help you succeed even if you don't decide to become one. I think having a wide array of skills is useful no matter what industry you work in and that was also one of the things that motivated me to take this class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So innovative at such a young age, you'll find that skill very translatable for this class! Hopefully this blog format keeps you engaged with your awesome ideas, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

  4. Your entrepreneur story is so much better than high school kids that would go around selling candy, I mean they actually made some money off of doing that. However, candy doesn’t last forever as balls that can be used over and over at recess for kids. So smart, starting at young age hustling the other kids!

    ReplyDelete